27 November 2010

The Tyranny of Pedantry ....by Ali Gordon (Oh, You have angered Ali now. Especially you Jim Gilbey)

Week 9 
The tyranny of pedantry 

Or 

Retractions and corrections 

This week’s update is dedicated to the pedants (you know who you are), out there who want to take issue with the artistic license I have used over the past 9 weeks. 

It has been brought to my attention that The Great Wall of China may not actually be visible from space, see blog entry on 'Walls and Warriors'. Furthermore, it has been pointed out that I incorrectly used the word illicit when I should have used the word elicit, see email border control. 
I would like to offer my apologies for what appears to have been some irresponsible and reckless reporting of the not so great wall of China, and it’s proportions. Had I known that Mr Picky Pants & Mrs Pinickety Knickers were going to show such a keen interest in my writing I would certainly have asked Faber & Faber to proof read all my submissions. As it is you will need to accept my umble [sic] apology for any psychological trauma that may have been caused.  

I would like to withdraw both articles and resubmit them so that they now read as follows:-  

Walls and warriors 

The Great Wall of China is very big.  


Border Control 

The Chinese border control police looked at my passport for a long time. 

I hope this set of retractions and corrections is satisfactory and meets with your approval. You may also want to consider getting out a little bit more. On the other hand it’s flattering to think that someone out there is actually reading this stuff. 

To all other readers, normal service will be resumed next week complete with exaggerations, hyperbole and embellishments. 

I’m off to Cambodia next. I’ll be traveling alone so I just can’t wait to see how I get on with my passport at that border crossing. 

Take care folks.

No comments: